AMS-IX (Amsterdam Internet Exchange) is a neutral, independent and distributed Internet Exchange. AMS-IX interconnects more than 800 IP networks, making it one of the largest Internet Exchanges in the world. AMS-IX builds its services around a state of the art MPLS/VPLS network, switching close to 5.5 Tbit/s at peak times. In order to support the large number of high bandwidth ports at which customers connect, AMS-IX always uses the latest developments in hardware and gives leading input to manufacturers for the development of next generation equipment.
AMS-IX deploys three other Internet Exchanges abroad: AMS-IX Hong Kong in the Asia Pacific region, AMS-IX Caribbean in Curaçao and AMS-IX India in Mumbai. AMS-IX’s subsidiary AMS-IX USA Inc. deploys AMS-IX Chicago and AMS-IX Bay Area in the United States.
The AMS-IX office, located in the heart of Amsterdam, consists of an international staff of about 55 people in various functions. We are an informal group of people that are passionate about adopting new technologies, developing new markets and having fun while doing so.
The technical team at AMS-IX consists currently of around 25 people whom are distributed over five departments:
- NOC (Network Operations Centre), responsible for day-to-day management of the different IX platforms around the world.
- System Operations, which maintains all different server systems.
- Engineering, responsible for design and implementation of extension to existing or new platforms.
- Software development, which is concerned with software and web development.
- Information Security.
As an AMS-IX NOC engineer you will be part of a team of engineers who work closely together on the day-to-day operations of the Ethernet switching platform, designing and implementing solutions for new services, platform extensions and upgrades. After the initial trial period you will participate in the on-call rotation schedule, providing 24/7 support to our customers worldwide.
- You have a sound IT background in both education and experience, specifically in the area of networking.
- You have experience with the management of MPLS/VPLS, Ethernet, and IP networks, and understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects and protocols that are required to build and maintain these networks. Knowledge of VxLAN/eVPN is a big plus.
- You have good understanding of routing protocols and have practical experience with configuring BGP.
- You have experience with detailed technical documentation.
- You have a good insight in the structure and relations that make up the internet.
- You know your way around in a Linux/Unix environment,
- You have scripting knowledge and experience and you are able to create automation scripts, preferably using bash and python (scripting experience in Perl too is a plus).
- Experience with automation tools like Ansible/Salt is highly appreciated.
- Understanding of the concept of a route server and Bird configuration experience is highly appreciated.
- You are open-minded, eager to learn, able to work in a small team of highly skilled professionals, and stress-resistant. Above this, you are willing to participate in the on call duty system.
- You have good communication skills, your English is fluent (both spoken and written). Speaking and/or understanding at least basic Dutch is a plus. You are willing and able to give subject matter presentations to various audiences.
- You have a driver's license for a car.
We offer a good salary and secondary conditions. The AMS-IX team is informal but professional. Focused on customer satisfaction and very much results oriented. The offices are nicely located in the heart of the city.
Interested? Request more information via or submit your CV and/or application letter to email@example.com